The holidays are a time for gratitude, great food, and family.
They’re also the perfect time for plumbing disasters.
From stringy pulp in your garbage compactor to poured grease hardening in your drain pipes to clogged shower drains left behind by overnight guests, holiday festivities can really take a toll on your home’s inner workings. To avoid plumbing problems this holiday season, try these six tips.
- Pour any excess grease from turkey or roast pans into a disposable container, then discard the container in the trash once it has had time to congeal.
- Avoid putting in the following items in your trash compactor:
- Celery, pumpkin or potato flesh, or other fibrous foods
- Coffee grounds
- Egg shells
- Fruit pits
- Always use plenty of water in your garbage disposal, and let it run at least 20-30 seconds (Tip: Run ice through you garbage disposal occasionally to keep the blades sharp).
- Ask your house guests to wait 10-15 minutes between showers to allow drains to clear.
- Never flush anything besides toilet paper down your toilet; no cotton balls, paper towels, feminine hygiene products, etc.
- If you have any issues with your home plumbing system, contact us before company arrives – we will take care of it!
Avoid holiday plumbing disasters – if you have a plumbing problem, take care of it before the big day! Contact us today to schedule a plumbing appointment – and don’t forget to ask about the Swezey 10 percent plumbing service discount!