Bioheat® – Answers To Common Questions
A new fuel has come on the scene in recent years – well, an old fuel really, with a new wrinkle: Bioheat®.
If you’re not familiar with this clean, green alternative to conventional No. 2 heating oil, here are the basics.
- What is Bioheat? Bioheat is a blend of ultra-low sulfur heating oil (ULSHO) with biodiesel – a renewable energy resource made in America from vegetable oils, animal fats, recycled restaurant oils and other natural sources.
- What do the “B” numbers mean? As a blend of fuels, Biofuel is named by the percentage of biodiesel it contains – for example, B5 is five percent Biodiesel. Most of today’s blends range from two to twenty percent biodiesel per gallon.
- Does Bioheat cost more than common heating oil? Bioheat is slightly more expensive than No. 2 heating oil (fractions of a penny per gallon). However, Biofuel is more cost effective in the long run because it burns cleaner than regular heating oil –which means your heating system will probably last longer and require fewer repairs.
- How does Bioheat reduce environmental impact? Bioheat burns cleaner than common heating oil, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) of Sulfur, Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) and Carbon Dioxide (CO2). By burning cleaner, Bioheat typically also extends the life of heating equipment, which means that fewer furnaces and boilers will find their way into the landfill.
- Can I use Bioheat with my existing heating oil equipment? Yes – in fact, if you are getting your heating oil deliveries from Swezey, you already are! Most major heating system manufacturers accept Bioheat as covered under their warranties for use, and you won’t need to make any changes to your furnace, boiler or storage tank to use it. In fact, your equipment will be glad you made the switch.
Intrigued by Bioheat? Contact us today to learn more! Swezey offers reliable Bioheat delivery in Suffolk County, LI – give us a call today to make the switch and join the Swezey family!