What Size Oil Tank Does My Home Need?
If the time has come to replace your heating oil tank – whether because it’s outdated, showing signs of wear, or simply because your heating needs have changed – you’ll need to ask some simple questions when shopping for a replacement. One of the most basic of these questions is what size oil tank you will need.
Oil Tank Choices
How do you choose the right-sized oil tank for your home? Here are some considerations.
- Before shopping for a new heating oil tank, learn what size tank you currently have. When it comes to heating oil tank sizes, two numbers matter: the capacity of the tank (in gallons), and the dimensions of your tank (in height, width and depth). If you have a newer tank, the capacity is more than likely listed on the tank’s name plate; take the physical dimensions of your tank yourself with a tape measure.
- The most common residential above-ground heating oil tank size is 275 gallons; other common sizes include 300, 340, 420, 500, 550, 675, and 1000 gallons (underground tanks can be substantially larger). An industry rule-of-thumb is that one or two-bedroom homes at 2,500 sf or less typically require a 275-gallon heating oil tank; three- or four-bedroom homes, or homes larger than 2,500 sf, need a 300 to 500-gallon tank.
- Other factors to consider include:
- Space: If you’re planning to up-size your heating oil tank, be sure to measure the available space first: some homes can’t accommodate larger heating oil tanks.
- Family plans: As your family grows, so does your energy consumption, and your need for a larger oil tank.
- Lifestyle preferences: Is your family eco-conscious? Do you spend long vacations away from home? Do you have elderly people living in your space that prefer a warmer house? All of these factors will affect how much heating oil you need – and how big a tank you should get.
Once you’ve thought about these sizing factors, you can move on to other heating oil selection considerations, including tank construction, warranties, cost, tank orientation, and more.
Our oil heating specialists can help you pick just the right tank for your home and family, then install it quickly, safely, and neatly in your Suffolk County home. We’ll even remove your old tank using a hassle-free, safe and clean process that meets all federal, state and local regulations.
When it comes time to upgrade your heating oil tank, Swezey’s got you covered! We feature top-quality, double wall construction heating oil tanks that are virtually leak-proof. We’ll even take care of removing your old tank in accordance with all environmental laws and codes. Contact us today to learn more and get a FREE, no obligation estimate on a heating tank upgrade for your Suffolk County home!