Posted: February 16, 2017
It’s February – which for the optimists among you means that spring cleaning is just around the corner. Among the best items to purge this year as you clean out your basement or attic — how about those loud, inefficient, light-robbing window AC units?
Most people choose window air conditioners because they don’t have the ductwork to support a central air conditioning unit. But that doesn’t mean window air conditioners are the only option for your duct-free Long Island home. In fact, there’s a much better home cooling solution: a mini-split air conditioner.
You’ve probably seen mini-split units (also known as ductless systems) and not even known it – they’re those compact, quiet, wall-mounted units you often see in restaurants or older buildings. Mini-split systems are extremely efficient, with most models having SEER ratings of 20 or more – well more than the 14 rating required by law (and far higher than what you’re likely to get from window units, which usually rate in the 14-15 range).
But efficiency isn’t the only benefit you’ll get by switching to a ductless system. You’ll also enjoy improvements in:
- Flexibility – Indoor units can be arranged where you need them, sized to the cooling load of the particular room where you place them.
- Savings – Ductless systems require less energy to drive and can be arranged so they don’t have to cool unoccupied rooms. Upgrading to a high-efficiency unit can also bring rebates and tax breaks, which can save you even more.
- Air quality – Ductless systems can drastically reduce dust, bacteria, pollen, allergens and other air-borne nasties.
- Ease of use and installation – No more lugging AC units out of storage! Ductless systems install quickly – usually in a day – and require only a small three-inch hole in your wall for piping.
- Environmental performance – Not only are ductless systems more efficient, they also use a refrigerant called R410A – a more ozone-friendly option.
Ready to purge your old, worn out window ACs? Contact us to learn more about installing a ductless air conditioning system this spring!