Keeping your plumbing system up and running properly is a must in any year, but with most of us spending a lot more time at home than usual these days, it becomes more important than ever.
Here are some important plumbing tasks to take care of in the coming weeks so your appliances and plumbing fixtures will continue to run right. If you have a plumbing emergency, don’t worry: the experts at Swezey are here to help with emergency plumbing service in Suffolk County.
Spring Plumbing Tasks
- Install drain strainers – A simple drain strainer (you can buy them at any hardware store) could prevent a costly repair down the road by reducing the buildup of hair, soap or other items in your pipes.
- Check little-used drains – Pour a gallon of water into any drain you don’t use on a regular basis; these drains can trap gas and odors in the house. If you have a floor drain that backs up or drains slowly, it should probably be snaked.
- Check for leaky toilets and faucets — Put a few drops of food coloring in your toilet tank; if you have a leak, you’ll see the color in the bowl within an hour. Turn all house faucets on and off and look for drips there, too.
- Check toilet flush handles – If you have to jiggle your toilet handle or hold it down to get a full flush, the handle should be replaced.
- Look for water damage – Check under sinks for any evidence of water damage or leaks, which could lead to mold formation and other problems.
- Inspect your sump pump – Check the batteries on your sump pump’s flood alarm. Check your wiring for any obvious flaws, and make sure the pump itself is upright. Pour a bucket of water into the pit to make sure the pump starts automatically and the water drains quickly once the pump is on. If the pump doesn’t start, contact us for service.
- Check outdoor connections – Turn your outdoor water supply back on for the season, then check all your fixtures – including faucets and hose bibs – to make sure they are working properly.
For expert plumbing service and emergency plumbing service in Long Island, trust the pros at Swezey. Contact us today to learn more – and don’t forget to ask us about our 15 percent discount (expires 6/30)!
Please note: At Swezey, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our Covid-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep your family and our crews safe and your home comfort systems working through this challenging time.