Your home air conditioner is very good at its job – but there are always ways to help it work better and last longer. If you want to improve comfort and efficiency in your Suffolk County home’s cooling system this year (who doesn’t want lower bills?), try following these six tips before the cooling days begin:
- Clean your condenser unit. The condenser (the outdoor unit on your central A/C) should be thoroughly cleaned. Remove covers and sweep away any large debris that may have accumulated on or near your condenser in the last few months. Also clean the condenser’s “fins”; dirt here can restrict healthy airflow and reduce heat transfer, robbing system efficiency or even frying your condenser!
- Replace your air filter. A clogged air filter can reduce efficiency and cause unnecessary wear and tear on your home cooling equipment. It’s always a good idea to start the cooling season with a clean filter (hint: a filter change is included in an annual air conditioning tune-up – see below).
- Open vents. If you closed any registers (vents) during the winter, re-open them so your A/C can cool your house with the least amount of effort.
- Test your system. Run your A/C for an hour or more and check to make sure everything is working properly (Is the air cold? Do you notice any odd sounds or strange odors?). If you have any problems it’s better to address them early – before you really need your home cooling system.
- Re-set your thermostat. When it comes cooling time arrives, be sure your temperature and mode (cool) are set correctly. Set your thermostat for at least five degrees cooler than the room’s current temperature so your cooling system engages.
- Schedule routine maintenance. Professional service is the best way to maximize your cooling system’s performance and efficiency – and to reduce the likelihood of needing costly air conditioning repairs. Regular maintenance may also be required for your warranty – and it will definitely extend the life of your equipment. In short, it’s a no-brainer – do it every year. And if you want an even better value, try a Swezey Gold Air Conditioning Service Plan, which includes an annual tune-up plus repair discounts, priority service, and more. Contact us for details.